Name, title, function: W.J. Chardon PhD, Research scientist
Date of birth: June 10th 1954
Scientific education: Agricultural University Wageningen
1985 - Present: researcher at institutes IB-DLO, AB-DLO, Alterra Wageningen UR, Wageningen Environmental Research
* Developing filters for retaining phosphorus in the landscape.
* Behavior of phosphorus in soil, sorption kinetics, leaching, soil depletion, nature development.
* Leaching of nitrate, correlation with soil factors.
* Emission of fine dust from agricultural activities.
* Ammonia emission from application of manure.
April 1984 - March 1985: Consultancy firm IWACO, Rotterdam
* Consultant on soil pollution
Feb. 1984: PhD. Agricultural University, Wageningen
Sept. 1983 - March 1984: Waterloopkundig Laboratorium, location Haren.
* Determination of an element balance for contaminants for the North Sea
Jan. 1978 - mid 1983: Agricultural University, Wageningen
* Research project for the Ministry of Public Health and Environmental Quality on factors that determine the mobility of cadmium in soil
- 2017 - present: Vice-chair Central Participation Council Wageningen UR
- 2014 - 2017: Member Central Participation Council Wageningen UR
- 2014 - present: Member Participation Council Environmental Sciences Group, Wageningen UR
- 2013 - present: Member editoral board journal Bodem [in Dutch]
- 2006 - 2011: Chairman of COST (EU Program Co-operation in Science and Technology) Action 869: 'Mitigation options for nutrient reduction in surface water and groundwaters'. Members from 30 European countries contribute to this COST Action.
- 2002 - 2007: Associate editor Journal of Environmental Quality
- Regular manuscript reviewer of e.g. J. of Environmental Quality, Soil Science Society America J., Geoderma, Soil Science, European J. of Soil Science, Plant and Soil, Australian J. of Soil Research, Agricultural and Food Science in Finland, J. Plant Nutrition and Soil Science, Applied Geochemistry.
- 2004: Organiser of the 4th International Phosphorus Workshop, Wageningen, The Netherlands, topic: 'Critical evaluation of options for reducing phosphorus loss from agriculture'. The workshop was attended by 81 delegates from 18 countries.
- 2004, 2015: Co-promotor of PhD candidates: G.F. Koopmans, O.F Schoumans
- 1999 - present: Examinator or member commission PhD thesis: M. Hens, Belgium; E. Turtola, R. Uusitalo Finland; P. Demaria, Switzerland; J. Liu, Sweden; G. Lyngsie, E. Canga, Denmark; H. Andersson, Sweden; M. Riddle, Sweden
- 1997 - 2003: Vice-chairman of COST (EU Program Co-operation in Science and Technology) Action 832: 'Quantifying the Agricultural Contribution to Eutrophication'. Members from 17 European countries contributed to this COST Action.
- 1990 - 2003 Member Commission Emissions from Agriculture
- 1995 - 2002: Chairman Commission Soil Properties Dutch Standardization Institute NNI
- 1985 - 1999 Member standardization Commission Soil Quality Dutch Standardization Institute NNI
* Member, Dutch Society of Soil Science (NBV)